SN95 suspension build

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #3282 by skigeezer
skigeezer created the topic: SN95 suspension build
First I'll make sure this is in the right topic area.
Well I've fabricated a torque arm and mount for the Mustang. Looked at Cortex and M&M photos online and basically used the Cortex design as the plan. Changed it around a bit to suit materials I had on hand. It bolts up to the diff same as Cortex and runs up to under the front u-joint. Torque arm can plunge for and aft, rotate and travel up & down with no binding. There's a bronze bushing in the arm and the pivot pin has a cross hole with a spherical bearing in it with a cross pin where it attaches to the front mount. This is finished and ready for paint. I have about $100.00 material and lots of hours into it.
Fabricating the Watts link, again using Cortex as the example and I'm about 60% done. The center plate is finished. Finishing the frame mounts now and then I will do the two arms. It is adjustable for roll center like the Cortex setup. I bought a BRM heavy duty bellcrank and spherical rod ends for the arms. The cost for materials/components in the Watts link is right around $350.00 and lots of hours.
I have photos but they are larger than what I can post here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #3285 by skigeezer
skigeezer replied the topic: SN95 suspension build
I have finished fabrication of the Watts link. The Torque arm and Watts link are off the car and being painted. This weekend I plan to start putting everything back together. Combined cost for the Torque arm and Watts link is right around $450.00. Looking forward to having the car back on the road the first week in May.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #3289 by skigeezer
The Mustang is back together and on the road as of yesterday evening. Driving the car with the Torque arm and Watts link installed there is very little front end dive during braking, or rise during acceleration. I also notice that the rear end is much more compliant over road irregularities, the axel moves much more smoothly. Before every bump seemed hard on the rear axel, I suspect that was the four link binding. With the UCA's removed it's obvious the axel moves more fluid.
These additions added some weight, but some weight was removed; differential vibration dampener (dog bone), UCA's, quad shocks & brackets, tail pipes, what was left of the carpet & pad and about three pounds of sound deadening material.
The only interference problem that I ran into was the spare tire well in the trunk. The Watts link plate on the diff cover hit that trunk area. That area was cut back about four inches and new sheet metal was welded in. The Watts link mechanism now clears everything by one inch. Also the Watts link brackets on the frame where the links mount take away the space where the tail pipes went.
I will get more drive time between now and Grattan Memorial weekend and have a better feel of things. I think the real telling will be out on the track, looking forward to it.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #3292 by skigeezer
Torque arm and Watts link worked real well at Grattan. Much easier in and out of turns, carried more speed out of the turns. Put it up on the lift the next day and everything had stayed tight, no signs of fatigue on any of the mounting brackets and there was a lot of load on those components. I'm happy with the way things turned out.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds