It's been a while... (Focus ST Updates)

More
2 months 1 week ago #3136 by LS3MN6
LS3MN6 created the topic: It's been a while... (Focus ST Updates)
So about 3 years ago I sorta "retired" from going to the track cause I was lame and didn't like either of my cars. I sold my old Corvette and got a new one, and while I should track it, I won't, at least not until the shiny wears off. So instead I decided to start modding the Focus ST to bring back. There is also something to be said about going fast in a slow car than slow in a fast car.

Anyway, so this all started when I had to replace my brakes (due to a bad rotor). I upgraded to slotted brakes from solid, because they do have some heat issues in stock form (both front calipers had boot damage due to excessive heat). Then I swapped the front calipers to ones that have higher heat resistance boots and seals (but basically still the stock design). I also changed the brake lines to stainless steal from the rubber ones.

Lastly I put on some lowering springs. The only thing I need to get now is tires. Always tires are the problem. The car had two sets of wheels, Winter and All-Season. Next year I'll probably running the All-Seasons until I melt them (since I just had to get two new tires like 2 months ago, thank you Michigan pot holes). So I'll be a bit slow (as usual).

I really need to look into putting in a roll bar so I can get a real seat belt (aka a racing harness) so I'm not slip sliding all over the place and doing the steering wheel death grip. That's likely on the agenda next year, as I really don't care if I lose the back seat (can't full cage the car, yet, as I still need to drive it 3 more years in the Winter before I can "promote it" to full on track car).

If I figure out how to I'll post some pictures...

Weekend Toy: Arctic White 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
Daily Driver: Oxford White 2013 Ford Focus ST Hatchback

Previous Cars: 2008 Chevrolet Corvette, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2004 Chevrolet Malibu, 1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 1992 Eagle Premier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #3137 by LS3MN6
LS3MN6 replied the topic: It's been a while... (Focus ST Updates)

Here is a link to the rest of the pictures: 1drv.ms/f/s!AsKNgODfzaj2g7MOhmrUFi_ZFA3e3Q

Previous Cars: 2008 Chevrolet Corvette, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2004 Chevrolet Malibu, 1997 Pontiac Grand Am, 1992 Eagle Premier
Attachments:

More
2 months 1 week ago #3138 by HeadBall
HeadBall replied the topic: It's been a while... (Focus ST Updates)
You need to look into an oil cooler. From experience, you will only be able to get a few laps in before it will pull power. The Mishimoto unit that mounts behind the bumper doesn't work. It could work if it were mounted somewhere it could get airflow.

As for brakes, bite the bullet and get the AP Racing kit. It will make the car stand on its nose. Pay once, cry once.

Ken

When two just won't do...

More
2 months 1 week ago #3139 by LS3MN6
I'll remember the brakes for the next time. The current setup should work for a year or two. But the oil cooler I'll need to look into, I guess when I do that I should also look at a new FMIC because apparently that also can overheat and derate power.

I do remember Mid-Ohio being brutal on my cars oil, so yea, gotta get a cooler before then (or only do 3 sessions).

I assume you mean this one www.mishimoto.com/ford-focus-st-oil-cool...0EAQYAiABEgLeLPD_BwE doesn't work.

Don't know if this has the same problem www.jamesbaroneracing.com/shop/index.php...info&products_id=965

More
2 months 6 days ago #3140 by HeadBall
HeadBall replied the topic: It's been a while... (Focus ST Updates)
Those two kits look identical. Their descriptions are almost identical as well.

Whether or not they work is completely dependent on where the unit is mounted. The Mishimoto kit mounts right BEHIND the bumper where there is no airflow.

We talked with the Mishimoto guy directly at PRI and he admitted they don't expect people to actually run their car on track. Based on the location they are using, you could just put the sticker they give you on the car and save the headache of actually installing the cooler. When the cars and coffee guys ask why they can't see the braided lines, just tell them it was a custom installation and you hid them.

Ken

When two just won't do...

More
2 months 6 days ago #3141 by LS3MN6
So that would mean a custom job on the oil cooler. Might have to result to that if upgrading the radiator won't work.

It seems the radiator is what the "tuning" companies do (COBB, Mountune, FSWERKS, Steeda, etc).

More
1 week 6 days ago - 1 week 6 days ago #3159 by dmadiso4
dmadiso4 replied the topic: It's been a while... (Focus ST Updates)
I've tracked my 2014 ST for the last 3 seasons (mostly with 3 Balls) and it was a fun car, but I've moved on to a dedicated track Miata for next season. I do have a Watson Racing bolt in roll bar for sale along with a few other things including a Intercooler, Hybrid Wilwood BBK kit, Brake Cooling Ducts, and full suspension setup (ground control coilovers, camber plates, rear camber and toe arms). I'm located in Dearborn so get in touch if you're interested in anything. I also have Focus seat rails that I modified significantly to mount side mount racing seats and harnesses (sub bar). This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Last Edit: 1 week 6 days ago by dmadiso4.

More
1 week 6 days ago #3160 by LS3MN6
Hmm, If I didn't just buy a whole new suspension and brake setup this year, I'd be interested in that stuff. What are the brake cooling ducts, and how do they fit? Can the camber plates and toe arms be used with lowering springs that aren't coil over?

I think I'd like more information on the roll bar. I don't think I need one with my current belt setup, but I've never seen one that worked on the ST.

Also what exactly do the seat rails do?

More
1 week 3 days ago #3162 by dmadiso4
dmadiso4 replied the topic: It's been a while... (Focus ST Updates)
Sent you a PM with email/cell so it's easier to exchange info and pics.

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds