350Z track car

More
5 years 3 months ago #403 by sig11
sig11 created the topic: 350Z track car
Since I'm starting to make progress I thought I would post a build thread. My goal is to build up this car for NASA SpecZ. Right now it's got quite a few mods that wouldn't be legal for the class including Koni yellows and a Motordyne plenum spacer but until I have to I figure I'll keep those.

I got the car from a friend (Aznsky/Rob) this Summer who had a spin into the tire wall inside of turn 1 at Mid-Ohio. The car is a 2005 Enthusiast with only a touch over 30,000 miles and the prior owner took great care of it. I picked it up in late July and had the frame measured and straightened. After the body shop was done with it I was left with this:

I'd like to get some 'before' shots but I didn't think to take any before I had the frame pulled. Hoping that Rob has a few.

After tearing into it I was pleasantly surprised that all I needed was a core support, radiator, power steering pump/pully, power steering pressure sensor, and a power steering line. I will need a set of fenders and possibly a hood but I've been mostly concerned with getting the car running so that I can give it a short test drive and get it caged.

I got a great deal on the core support and radiator assembly from a my350z forum member dkmura and it put me in motion. Picked up the power steering pump and sensor from ebay for a really good price as well. Still hoping to be able to just repair the high pressure power steering line since it's about a $250 part new and runs clear across the car.

Last week I got most of the interior out and was able to remove the insulation tar from the floor boards. Afraid the trans tunnel and fenders are going to require a lot of time with the angle grinder though.

Pics of the progress:

Unfortunately today I just found out that the frame wasn't pulled enough. The bolt holes that the core support mounts are about 1" closer together than they should be. So as soon as I get the power steering system repaired and the accessories back on the engine I am going to have to send the car back to the body shop for some more adjustment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #422 by HeadBall
HeadBall replied the topic: 350Z track car
Lee,
That looks like a great project. Are you planning on doing the cage yourself?

Ken

When two just won't do...

More
5 years 3 months ago #423 by sig11
sig11 replied the topic: 350Z track car
I haven't done any welding in 10 years so I am planning on taking it to Ralph Provitz at V2 Motorsports for the cage and safety equipment. Hopefully I can get it together quick.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #2604 by Z33 Nismo
Z33 Nismo replied the topic: 350Z track car
Hey how is this project coming along?!!

I am eager to get my Z out to one of your upcoming events. Currently its in the shop for a stage 2 clutch and all new hydraulics and lines . The damn slave cylinder went out me, but at least it wasnt during a track day!

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #2607 by sig11
sig11 replied the topic: 350Z track car
It's been running great actually. I added a NISMO diff and promptly hit a tree at Grattan. :P Had it out at Gingerman for the season opener and hope to do all the rest of the events this season.

I made a lot more posts on the Great Lakes Z Club forums but even that thread is outdated.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds