V6 MR2 - It Will Live Again!

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #2664 by Goddom
Goddom created the topic: V6 MR2 - It Will Live Again!
It has been a while since I have been to a 3Balls event. The last time was in 2012 when I brought my V6 MR2 out for its maiden track day and toasted a rod bearing at the end of the first session on the first day... I didn't know what rod knock was before, but I do now.

I want to thank James (military police guy) for trailering my car back. I offered him gas money and he wouldn't take it and said "first time was free." I still appreciate it to this day!

Since that day I was planning to get the bearing replaced and the car back onto the track as soon as possible. But then I bought a horse farm, and my daughter was born about 2 years ago and I just didn't have the time. Well, now I am making time and I plan to have the car up and running - with a few improvements - at the Grattan event in September.

I had a thread for this car on the old forum but all that data was lost is my understanding. Brief summary of the car before engine blew - 91 MR2, stripped interior with a cage, DIY coilovers with KYB AGX shocks, 3.0l V6 engine out of a 93 Lexus ES300.

Before I could even start to pull the engine out I needed to fix one of the rocker panels that had rusted out right where I needed to put a jack stand to get the engine out. That has been completed, the engine was pulled and disassembled. The original crank was going to get ground but the machine shop determined it was bent (probably from the original owner) and I needed a new crank. Bought that from ebay and had it checked at the same machine shop. It checked good. The block was cleaned and now its time for assembly.

Engine with one piston/rod in but not installed because it turns out the rod bearings I have don't fit. New ones are ordered and should be in on Friday (6/5)

Other things I am updating as well are the brakes. The turbo model for my car has dual piston calipers and slightly larger rotors so I am installing those along with a brake bias valve and replacing my brake lines with SS line lines. Originally I was doing hard lines but my AN flaring tool broke (it was a cheap Summitracing one not designed for SS) and I wasn't feeling super confident that they won't leak so I am running braided lines through the car. Not that expensive really. Probably only cost my slightly more than the hard lines.

Here is the new dual piston calipers (painted black)

Here is a new MC and some of the lines coming off of it:
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Goddom. Reason: Needed to thank James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #2665 by Goddom
Goddom replied the topic: V6 MR2 - It Will Live Again!
Here is the video of the engine getting cooked on the track. I believe that the culprit was oil starvation. So I am planning on installing an accusump to prevent that from happening in the future.

*Quick note - I thought I was "taking it easy" on the track but when reviewing the video I realized I was keeping the revs pretty high. I wasn't going very deep into the corners because I was worried about over cooking the brakes. Also, I need a LSD...

The days after getting the car back I dropped the pan and looked at the damage. Here is the rod bearing that got half eaten -

Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Goddom.

More
2 years 11 months ago #2669 by Scooter70
Scooter70 replied the topic: V6 MR2 - It Will Live Again!
Hey Matt, good to see you back. I think you'll find that although the group has changed a bit in the past few years, we're still pretty much the same.

Keep us posted on the progress.

-Matt

2001 Corvette Z06
2005 Corvette Z51

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #2670 by Goddom
In my first post I forgot to thank James for trailering my car home - and he didn't accept any gas money or anything! He said "First time is free." I still really appreciate it. I plan to trailer my own car to the next event just in case!

Thanks Matt! Yeah, I look forward to the camping with the crew again. That has always been part of the fun!

This weekend was two steps forward and one step back....

I guess due to my lack of due-diligence and assumptions I ASSUMED replacing the rod bolts would be like replacing any other kind of bolt. WRONG! The old ones needed to be tapped out with a hammer so thought they were snug but not pressed in.

At first I was putting the rod bolts in as far as I could by hand - which wasn't really in at all. And I thought that when I went to put the rod cap on it would just pull the bolt through. I thought about it some more and realized that plan wouldn't work since the rod bolts weren't long enough to actually project out of the rod cap to get a nut on them. So I thought - well Ill just use a nut to pull the bot through before I install...

Apparently that wasn't a very bright idea. It worked until the bolt basically yielded and then striped the threads and I was up a creek. Ended up having to cut the nut and bolt off with a cut-off wheel. I didn't want to damage the rod so I didn't cut to close. Even though I did eventually get the nut off the bolt seems to be pretty well stuck. I suppose with a press I might be able to work it out or drill it out but I decided the easiest and best course of action was to buy a re-manned rod and it would come with bolts and nuts.

Here is the bolt after I cut it off.

For some reason the forum keeps preventing me from postings - saying I am trying to spam the site... so I had to split this post into two replies... continued below..
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Goddom.

More
2 years 11 months ago #2671 by Goddom
For some reason the forum keeps preventing me from postings - saying I am trying to spam the site... so I had to split this post into two replies...

Cont...

I did end up using my bench vice as a press to get the bolts into the remaining 4 rods. I say 4 because there is the one I have just talked about, and I had bought a re-manned rod to replace the one that got scored after the bearing got burnt.

Plus this all took a lot longer than expected. I was thinking in a half hour I would have 5 rods/pistons in. Well more like 2+ hours to get 4 in after pressing in the bolts.

Not an exciting pic, but an engine with 4 rods/pistons in it.

Im hoping this week, while I wait for the rod to come in, I can take some time to install some brake lines. I have all the ones I need to go from the front of the car to the rear but I will have to fabricate a bracket for the brake bias valve, and I am still looking at some different layout options for the cockpit...

More
2 years 11 months ago #2672 by bames
bames replied the topic: V6 MR2 - It Will Live Again!
Matt,
Sorry about the spam block messages. We ran into some issues with spam posts awhile back, to help remedy the situation we have installed a spam blocking software to the website. Your posts were incorrectly being flagged as suspicious due to the photo links. I have added you to the white list to prevent this from continuing.

Glad to see that you are working on making it back out to the track.

More
2 years 11 months ago #2680 by Goddom
Another week down and some progress has been made. Not much as I would have liked but the farm keeps me pretty busy.

Last night I went to install the last two pistons/rods and I noticed that the pistons I bought weren’t the same as the ones I pulled out of the car! The one that came out of the car is on the right, the replacement is on the left. Dimensionally they are very similar except the wrist pin on mine is larger, and it has a bushing and oil lube hole at the top.

Now I might get a little to Toyota engine geeky on you for a minute – but I thought I might have purchased the rod for the wrong engine since there is my engine – 3VZFE, which can easily be confused with the 3VFE (I don’t know the difference). I noticed on my the ebay paperwork the guy put his cell phone – so I called it. He answered and seemed very knowledgeable, and asked me to send a pic of my current rod. So apparently the rods in my engine are from a 5VZFE. At this point, with the brief research I did I am not sure if there is any benefit to using the 5vzfe rods other than that I only need 2 more of them as opposed to 4 of the 3vzfe rods… He is also sending me two replacement rods for the cost of 1. Which is pretty cool because it’s not his fault my rods aren’t 3vzfe. Though I am sure he is just happy to be rid of them since there aren’t a lot of 3vzfe engines floating around anymore…

The replacement rods got shipped today and should arrive sometime before 6/20 which doesn’t really help me at all since I am heading out of town this weekend. Since I couldn’t do much more there I decided to focus on the brake lines.

First installed a -4AN 90° bulkhead fitting which will be for my hydraulic clutch. You can see how I held the fitting in the correct orientation while tightening on the inside of the cabin.

Now I have the -4AN bulkhead fitting for the clutch and the -3AN bulkhead fitting for the rear installed. I am fabricating a bracket to hold the brake proportioning valve which I plan to install in the center console-thing that separates the driver and passenger seats. That way I can adjust while driving. I figure once its set I probably won’t touch it – but you never know.

I also need to figure out where to install the accusump. I kind of would like to install it under the passenger seat (which it probably won’t fit) or in the passenger foot well… you know to keep the weight low and in the center of the car…

More
2 years 10 months ago #2704 by Goddom
So we were on vacation last weekend and I was a little busy catching up on things this weekend so I didn't get much done - baby steps I guess...

So I went to install the last two pistons/rods. One piston was already disassembled, so I just needed to disassemble the other one and then assemble them onto the two new rods. Sounds easy. I thought it would take me about 30min. Well it ended up taking almost 2 hours!

The piston got disassembled easily enough but when I went to assemble it the wrist pin jammed up on the bushing and it was kind of seized. So I hammered the wrist pin back out and couldn't see any damage but the wrist pin wouldn't slide into the rod. I figured out were it was slightly jammed up and used some 400 grit sand paper to slowly work it back down until it would slide on. Then they assembled just fine and I got them into the block and called it a night - I had not yet torqued any of the rods.

Last night I had some time and so I ran out to the garage to torque down the rods and then I could start assembling the rest of the engine. For those not familiar with torque sequence, you first torque them to a set ft/lbs, then you turn the nut another 90°. For my engine its 18 ft/lbs. Well on the very first rod - the bolt broke before I even got to 18 ft/lbs! It just kept turning and I was thinking... this isn't right. The head of the bolt just fell off. This is on one of the "new" rods that came with the rod bolts installed.

Here is the head of the rod bolt:

Luckily I had some extras and I pulled the rod out, hammered the bolt out (since they are pressed in) pressed in a new one on the vice and then tried again. After that it went kind of flawless though I am a little worried about the rod bolts that came installed on the other rod now... I am hoping this is an anomaly because I don't want to have to order new rod bolts and delay the engine assembly since I am running out of time. I realize this is a little bit of a risk but I think its low risk...

Here is the engine will 6 pistons and rods installed - you can see paint marker to indicate which ones I have done and also on the rod nuts to help when torqueing them that 90°.

Question - I am considering getting rid of my heat shields on the manifolds and using exhaust wrap. Mostly because they won't take up as much room in the engine bay and I was going to wrap the exhaust from the manifolds to the "Y" to save on some space and reduce heat dissipation into the engine bay. Thoughts? I would like to get headers but that would have to be custom and I don't want to spend the money and time on that...

More
2 years 10 months ago #2718 by Goddom
Slowly but surely I am making progress. I am hoping that this week, not that my schedule has changed a bit, I can take a bit more time on the car. Last week I might have had a little cold or something I was exhausted every day. Really the only time I have to work on it is late at night after my daughter goes to bed.

I am definitely feeling under the gun with the deadline looming to get the car running for Grattan in September! I will probably even take a day off work to get some work done.

Engine re-assembling has commenced. No pictures because nothing exciting. I was worried about finding some of the parts for the oil pan and such because they were taken off 3 years ago and I had moved since so I was worried that I couldn't find the parts but I did. I needed to go buy some bolts at Home depot because those got lost but that's no biggie.

I also fabricated and mounted my proportioning valve. I wanted it in a spot that I could adjust it while driving. Not that I think I will do a lot of that mostly I think initially I will need to play with the balance and I probably won't touch it after that.

Its mounted on the "transmission" tunnel - in my car the gas tank sits between the driver and passenger.

This pic shows a bit better how its mounted and the brake line going to the front fire wall.

With this mounted and the bulkhead fitting installed through rear fire wall into the engine bay I have measurements to complete the brake lines throughout the car. I just need to install the cable ties to hold them in place and start on some electrical.

I have also been working on some SS coolant lines. They should be getting bubble flared today or tomorrow and then some more sections will be cut and welded together and hopefully by the end of next week it should be ready to install.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #2724 by Goddom
First off - QUESTION

I am debating about wrapping my exhaust manifolds with that exhaust wrap stuff for a couple reasons - first I think it might be more effective than the stock heat shields since they only cover the top of the manifolds but also I want to reduce space and I was planning on removing the heat shields on the rest of the exhaust pipe because I have to cut them off to make some modifications anyways. But it seems like they aren't really ideal for getting wrapped. You can see a pic of them below. Thoughts?

This week was more engine assembly. I fabricated a block off plate for the oil level sensor and installed it.

Then it took me like an hour to clean the oil pan! Part of that was fitting the block off plate pictured above but also the pan is "baffled" (I use the term loosely) in that it has a sheet of metal covering most of it except where the oil pump is. So I had all this chewed up bearing material in the bottom of it and trying to clean it out of all the nooks and crannies through a small hole that was just big enough for my hand was a pain. Plus that hour also included scrapping off the old gasket too.

Oil pan installed! I painted it with high temp paint - I had white on hand so that's how that color got chosen plus I figured it would be easier to see oil leaks. Mostly I wanted to protect the bolt heads from rust.

The brake lines are all mostly run and I have bulkhead fittings installed through the rear firewall. I started securing the brake lines with clamps as well and have cleaned up a few other areas of the car in preparation for some work. Then I was lazy all weekend because of problems with other cars and the heat. Hopefully tonight I will be motivated to get a bit more work done.
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Goddom.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #2740 by Goddom
Well its been a couple weekends, but I am still working at it! Last weekend it stopped raining enough to cut and bale hay. So thats what I did. Yay! The saying "time to make hay" well there is some meaning to that.

First had to put all this away... 200 bales or so.

Into the hay maw here:

Afterward your arms look like this:

My 7 acre hay field - which it seems we can only usually cut about 6 acres because the rest is to wet - got cut.

Spent a few hours pulling those bales off the field and stacking them up. Each bale weights between 1,000 and 1500lbs, so that trailer is loaded with about 10-11k lbs of hay plus the weight of the trailer is another 1700lbs. Luckily I was just taking it to another part of the property and not on the road.

That was last weekend. This week I have had a bit more energy and got to work on the car.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Goddom.

More
2 years 9 months ago #2741 by Goddom
It seems like this project is slightly cursed. Oh well, keep on keeping on!

Installed water pump - had to order a new gasket so that took a day. No biggie. But when I started to install the heads, the curse!

The previous engine builder installed ARP head studs - which is awesome. So I decided to torque them down in three cycles. 25 ft/lbs, 50ft/lbs and then 80 ft/lbs. I put on head on, did the initial torque at 25, then adjusted the torque wrench to 50 and it broke! Its the click style with where the handle lines up with lines on the shaft of the wrench to adjust torque and something popped loose and the handle had about 2" of play! So I had to stop and luckily my work had a torque wrench that I could borrow. So I got that and last night I installed the heads. I even measured the cam shafts and started to figure out my oil clearance.

The cam journals all seemed to be in spec except one seemed a little out but assuming the oil clearance isn't to far out it should still be good. It does look like the journals are a little scored so I plan to bring them into work and polish them a little with some emery cloth on a lathe. Hopefully Monday. Then I will do some serious checking of the oil clearances and see how it goes. My initial tests on them looked good - right in the middle of the range.

Here is the engine with heads and water pump installed!

On the side I started to fab up a new center console out of lexan. Something I was able to get from work for free! We use a lot of lexan and I got two 90° bends put in it for me.

I currently only have 2 gauges, I made this one to accommodate 5. I also put in some holes for switches. Right now I am planning to use 4 (1 for gauges, 1 for engine bay fan, 1 for accusump, and 1 for GPS and tablet power) but I have a few extra just in case!

More
2 years 9 months ago #2745 by Goddom
More work completed. Its slower going than I expected so I am a little worried about making the Sept 5th & 6th track day. I guess I can always fall back to the later September one but this one would be much better since I will also have Monday off.

Last week I got the cam journals polished since they had some scoring - I am assuming from bearing bits from circulating through the engine. After polishing and before torqueing them down I made sure to check their diameter and oil clearance. All the parts were in spec. All but two journals were nominal both in diameter and oil clearance and one was slightly toward the high side and one was getting real close to being out of spec.

They are all installed and the rest of the assembly of the engine has started.

Here I am starting to get the timing belt covers installed along with some other little bits.

What I don't have pictures of yet, is that I have a custom 1.25" diameter coolant line fabricated up that will mount to the fire wall along with a fitting welded to one of the heater lines so that I can add in a heater core in the future without much hassle.

The goal is this weekend to put the engine back into the car! Hopefully I can make it happen.

More
2 years 9 months ago #2754 by Goddom
I need more time! 2 weeks and counting. I am reluctant to register for the event because I don't want to not make it and have spent however many hundreds of dollars on registration! This week will be telling if I am feeling confident that I will finish in time. I would like to drive the car before I trailer it to the track!

Assembly of the engine is still on going. There are always these little things that crop up and turn out to be big things. For instance, there is an idler pulley that sits in the "V" of the engine and it held down with 3 bolts. Turns out one of the bots was broken off in the block from the previous owner. I had forgotten about it when I was disassembling the engine and now I want to fix it. So drilling and tapping that took a while. But the timing belt is installed and I am starting to plug in the engine harness. This photo is not completely up tot date but it shows the timing belt is.

In parallel, I have been making a custom water line since this engine had the coolant come in from the passenger side. The original engine had it all plumbed to come in on the driver side. Before I was had this janky metal flex line thing that kind of just hung there. Well thanks to some friend I was given some SS tubing with pre-bent 90°sections and a 4' straight section. Then a guy at work welded it for me. I just had to measure and cut. It was a multi step process. Get one section cut and welded then test fit it on the car. Cut and weld the next section. Test fit it, etc. I even had a 3/8" NPY fitting welded to the top to help bleed the coolant lines - which is a real PITA with the new engine just because there is high spot.

A note - the tubing is all 312 or 304 stainless, but the little brackets are 718 Inconel. Its weird, at my work its easier to find scrap Inconel than scrap bits of SS. I thought - well, it will work, might be a little harder to drill the holes. BOY WAS I WRONG! 5 or 6 drill bits into it I finally got the bolt holes drilled. I ended up having to submerge the tab in oil and drill it that way. That cost me about and hour or so.

Here is the bracket in the car.

It might be hard to see but one of the new brake lines is running behind it. Not mounted yet, but strung to check fit.

I am dreading getting the engine in because it means I have to deal with the mess of wires. I had probably spent 10 hours wiring in harnesses so that I will *hopefully* just have to plug everything in and it should be good to go! I am not confident that I didn't make a mistake or missed something.... I hate wiring.

More pics to come soon. I have been spending most of my spare time working on the car and not this forum post. I plan to work on it every night this week.

More
2 years 9 months ago #2755 by HeadBall
HeadBall replied the topic: V6 MR2 - It Will Live Again!
I feel your pain on the wiring harness. I know it doesn't look like it, but I probably have more time in the wiring harness than any other single component. The only advice I can give is to invest in a good set of wire strippers and crimpers; and have patience.

Ken

When two just won't do...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goddom

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #2757 by Goddom
Thanks Ken! Will do!

Work has been progressing pretty much every night. Lots of side things happening besides just the engine. Such as deleting the heater core - but I decided to keep the piping available incase I want some heat - so I had these SS 3/8" NPT fittings onto the heater line outlets - right now I have them capped.

I decided to commit to wrapping the manifolds. First I need to cut off some random bits to make it easier to wrap.

Before - cut off these studs on both manifolds:

Before - casting marks and other random things

After:

This is them Wrapped:

Engine is pretty much assembled. Next step is to get it off the stand and on the hoist so that I can install the flywheel, clutch and trans.

Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Goddom.

More
2 years 8 months ago #2762 by Goddom
Though I might have been pretty quiet I am still working diligently.

I have decided not to try and go to the Sept 5th and 6th event and instead go to the later one in Sept. I just want to make sure I can actually drive the car ahead of time.

A note from a previous update - this is what one of the drill bits looked like after trying to drill a 6.5mm hole in Inconel. The drill bit fried - inconel was literally untouched.

I modified the engine hooks so that I could use clevises instead. THis has ssemed to help a lot because the engine hangs WAY better. This required some welding and painting.

This is the current state of the engine. Ready to install! The hold up has been me working on putting some brackets and such in the engine bay. Transmission bolted on, everything hooked up and ready to go.

In order to install the oil accumulator, I am moving the oil filter off the engine. So this is the adapter with a sandwich plate for oil pressure/temp sensor installed.

This is where the oil filter will be located.

The accumulator will be located in the passenger compartment, probably between the passengers legs.

Looks like I will have my work cut out for me getting all the plumbing for the oil filter relocation and accumulator sorted out.

More
2 years 8 months ago #2763 by Goddom
Now, while I am waiting for some paint to dry or if I need to order some parts but I have time on my hands I have been working on cleaning up the passenger compartment.

I have been painting everything Massey-Fergussen gray! Mainly because I didn't want white or black, and at Tractor Supply in the "Tractor and Implements" paint this was the only other option. I think it looks pretty good! Should be a really durable paint.

I need to fabricate some door cards - Ill see if I can get anything from my work. Some Lexan would be nice but I don't need anything fancy.

I did buy a used Sparco seat that I want to get installed but I might not focus on that now and just leave my current seat in there.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #2767 by Goddom
THE ENGINE IS IN THE CAR!

Its only hanging by 1.5 engine mounts but its in! I just need to tighten up one but I need a deep-deep socket it seems. I don't remember having this issue before but I might have taken the mount off after it was out of the car... not sure.

Here is the sequence.

Friday Night - some shots of the engine next to the car.

From this angle you will be able to see what needs to happen. I have to use the engine hoist to lift the back end of the car by the bumper bolts This will allow me to roll the engine under the car.

Then its lifted up. I remove the strut on this side so its not in the way.

Then I roll the engine under the car and lower it back down onto the jack stands.Its hard to tell, but this is the engine on the ground, but in the engine bay.

Sunday Night - The big lift!

One minor issue is that the engine hoist doesn't have as much reach as I would like to lift the engine clean up. I ended up drilling a new hole in the engine hoist arm so I can extend it out another couple inches without getting to crazy. I think it helped a lot actually. If I have to do it again, I will order more tubing and make a longer arm and reinforce everything.

Here it is:

Now - hopefully the wiring will be easy... I should have done all the hard work earlier so it *should* plug together and start....

I am happy that the custom water line seems to fit perfectly.
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Goddom.

More
2 years 8 months ago #2778 by Goddom
I have not been as diligent as I would have liked to have been due to a very busy couple weekend however, I have not stopped working on the car.

Rememer all those fancy AN fittings I bought? Well I started to mock up how the lines would run and I realized it wasn't practical so I had to re-engineer everything. Which I am kind of glad I did because I think it came out nicer. I had to make 3 (it will be 4, but I need more hose...) lines. This took a bit longer than I expected since I had to fit up and then fabricate each line.

This is how it looks in the car. I don't have a picture but the two lines that run off the left side of the photo go to where the oil filter used to be mounted.

It may be hard to see but the bulkhead fitting goes into the passenger compartment and will attach to the Accusump in the passenger foot well. I still need to get some fittings/hoe for that connection. Probably order that tomorrow. If I order it Friday night and its in stock at the Summitracing Ohio warehouse, I should get it Saturday morning... logistics magic! Pro Tip: in the Detroit area, if you order from Summit before 9 or 10pm Friday night and its shipping out of the Ohio warehouse you will get it Saturday morning.

My next major project, and one that I have been dreading is wiring up the center console with the gauges and switches. As I get into it more, its not as bad as I thought it would be but I am still kind of dreading it.

I want it to be clean.

Make the wires:

Install:

I made the wires that will eventually go to the switches but I also need to make some brackets to hold the center console thing. If you haven't noticed, I have been painting all my fabricated parts with maroon paint.

I have also been working on the engine wiring. Hopefully this will be a breeze. I put a lot of work into making plugs and such for it before I removed the engine so all I would have to do is plug everything back together. And for the most part that seems to be true. Now I am cleanign it up and there are a couple wires that I still need to put connectors onto so I am working on that as well.

Left side has been cleaned up, the right side still needs some TLC.

Based on my progress, I think I am going to aim for the Gingerman open track day on the 10th and 11th of Oct... I think this is my last date push back...

My plan this weekend is to get the rear subframe back into the car and start mocking up the exhaust so I can get that welded up next week. Finish the wiring and then install a few things so that I can test fire the engine...

More
2 years 8 months ago #2788 by Goddom
Still going! So I have slowed down a little since I think I had a cold or something I was just really worn out but this week I'm feeling a lot better so I hope to get things rolling.

Im still working on wiring and I need to get a few more things to finish it up. For me, there is a lot of inertia to get going on that since its not really in my comfort zone but its not hard I just don't want to do it. Once I get going I don't think its so bad I just have a hard time getting started, The engine wiring is essentially complete. I have a couple loose ends that I need to tidy up and I should be done. One road block is I need to relocate the ignition coil and associated controller. I ordered a rivet nut tool so that I can mount these in the engine bay and it came today. I was stupid because I didn't order more rivet nuts! Whoops! So I am going to do that tonight and then I can get trucking.

Though I don't have any pictures, I am working on the rest of the exhaust now. I have to modify the "y" pipe so that it goes over the rear crossmember. Before it ran under but that kind of looked janky because the muffler hung down in the back to. Now it will be tucked up under the trunk as it should be.

I did finish plumbing the accusump and getting that thing mounted. This is it in the passenger foot well. I think I will fashion a guard so that it doen't get stepped on if I do have passengers in the car.

I also shot a video of what AN hoses are, and how to make them plus a little overview of the oil accumulator.

If you want to see it you can view it here:

I am also getting the center console thing all fitted up. This will have - for now - two gauges, and 4 switches. 1 switch for GPS/Phone powe, 1 switch for an engine bay fan, 1 switch for the accusump, and 1 switch that will power up the gauges (this may get deleted).

More
2 years 7 months ago #2799 by Goddom
So.... I need a new furnace... which means race monies will now become heat monies...

I knew this last week so I kind of slowed down on the build but I am not stopping. This only means that I will be able to have the car up and running and hopefully properly shaken down for next April. If all goes well then my buddy Dmitriy will have his car ready too and we can continue what was once an annual Gingerman opening tradition again.

Not a lot of pics but I have the exhaust welded up except a couple pieces.

The wife and baby are heading out of town this weekend so I hope to ge a few things done and maybe, just maybe, I can start the car...

More
2 years 3 months ago #2816 by Goddom
Soooooo...

Things have been happening, its just difficult to find the time to do updates to this forum :-)

All the engine wiring is done. Oil is in the egine and I tried to get it to start... no go. It didn't even start cranking. So that means the starter circuit has some issue... This in its self isn't an issue since I was thinking I want to keep a push button start in the car and I removed it when I started to do all teh center dash wiring. Its nice if you spin on the track or stall to wuickly hit a starter button if the ignition is already on. So I guess Ill just wire one up - even if the initial one is tempoprary just to test the wiring of the engine and make sure it fires.

Wow it has beena while since my last update!

I have been working on a new custom exhaust...

Modifying the y-pipe to go over the rear crossmember then removing the old heat shields and wrapping it to keep the heat down in the engine bay.

Adding a v-band and custom piping to the muffler.

Wiring the center console thingy. More switches! One for power to the GPS reciever, 1 for enginer bay fan, 1 for accusump and one for gauge lights...

Wired teh accusump electronic valve:

Then started to modify the seat pan to install the new race seat mounts and new race seat.

First with a hammer to flatten some of the bumps and make my own :-)

Then cut out a rust spot and weld a patch over some holes that I made with the hammer... whoops.

For Xmas my wifey got me an NRG quick release hub and I bought myself a steering wheel. Easy install.

However - with all this progress I am still worried that I may not have the time to get the car up and running for April. So I decided to intiate plan B. Buy another car that will be a fun track car but also cheap. BEHOLD!

If you are on Facebook you will have already seen this but its a 1997 BMW 328is I got it for $2000! Needs new brakes and probably some struts but thats not bad! Ill change all the fluids and take it to a shop to put it on a lift to look at the suspension stuff and do an alignment.

Barring this thing exploding I should be at the opener with either this or the MR2 or both!

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds