New project Mini

More
4 years 7 months ago #1561 by dylnwit
dylnwit created the topic: New project Mini
So I'm looking to pick up my own old Mini and see if I can give Dad a run for his money next year. Found a clean '72 to start with, problem is it's an empty shell with boxes and boxes of parts. Motor is out, subframes are out, etc.

Does anyone have a truck and trailer I could borrow this week/weekend/early next week so I can go get it from Sylvan Lake and bring it down to Livonia? Have a garage up here and all, but the new cooper doesnt have enough towing to be able to get the new toy home. Beer+fuel will be provided!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #1562 by HeadBall
HeadBall replied the topic: New project Mini
I can help you out depending on timing. I'm heading to Gingerman this weekend for the 10/10ths event. Other than that, I can grab it with you.

Ken

When two just won't do...

More
4 years 7 months ago #1564 by dylnwit
dylnwit replied the topic: New project Mini

HeadBall wrote: I can help you out depending on timing. I'm heading to Gingerman this weekend for the 10/10ths event. Other than that, I can grab it with you.

Ken

Do you have a smaller trailer than the big gray one we always see? I'm concerned about getting it back into the seller's neighborhood, there's not a much space to swing something that size. My only timing restriction is when the seller is free, so should be able to make an evening work.

More
4 years 7 months ago #1565 by HeadBall

dylnwit wrote:

HeadBall wrote: I can help you out depending on timing. I'm heading to Gingerman this weekend for the 10/10ths event. Other than that, I can grab it with you.

Ken

Do you have a smaller trailer than the big gray one we always see? I'm concerned about getting it back into the seller's neighborhood, there's not a much space to swing something that size. My only timing restriction is when the seller is free, so should be able to make an evening work.

Yes, I have an 18' open car trailer. I could probably just toss it in the back of the F450 as well. :evil:

More
4 years 7 months ago #1567 by dylnwit
Sounds good Ken, I'll get in touch with the seller and see what I can work out with him. What days this week/next week work for you?

More
4 years 7 months ago #1569 by HeadBall

dylnwit wrote: Sounds good Ken, I'll get in touch with the seller and see what I can work out with him. What days this week/next week work for you?

Thursday is the only night I have open this week. Next week, Mon-Thurs.

Ken

The following user(s) said Thank You: dylnwit

More
4 years 7 months ago #1572 by dylnwit
I'd like to target Thursday evening, I'll send you an email with the details in a few. Thank you!

More
4 years 7 months ago #1579 by Mini Balls
Mini Balls replied the topic: New project Mini
Just remember who is building your engine! This is going to be a half ton of fun.

More
4 years 7 months ago #1599 by dylnwit
Hey everyone,
Build log will be chronicled on my Facebook since I don't use it for anything else. Down to the shell now, time for some floors, paint and then put it all together. Big thank you to Ken for the help picking her up!

More
4 years 7 months ago #1600 by Scooter70
Scooter70 replied the topic: New project Mini
Sounds cool.

Post a link when you start posting pictures.

2001 Corvette Z06
2005 Corvette Z51

More
4 years 5 months ago #1697 by HeadBall
I think I speak for most of the crowd when I say:

We demand updates!!!!!!

More
4 years 5 months ago #1698 by dylnwit
Lots of sanding, painting (and drinking) so far. Front subframe is in, steering wheel now turns both front hubs and once I get axles on the back sides of them I'll be putting on some wheels. Rear subframe needs one brake back plate and parking brake parts (gotta have for those sweet handbrake turns) and then it's done. Big hurdles left are welding in the new rear floor pans and cage install, need to land a house in the next month or so and get some space to work on her.
Attachments:

More
4 years 5 months ago #1699 by sig11
sig11 replied the topic: New project Mini
Wow! Looking pretty good.

More
4 years 5 months ago #1700 by Red06
Red06 replied the topic: New project Mini
Looking good Dylan! Keep the updates coming on this thread as well. Some of us old curmudgeons aren't into that new fangled social media BS.

dylnwit wrote: Lots of sanding, painting (and drinking) so far.

I see part of the problem... you have it in the wrong order. The drinking part needs to be first. Right HeadBall? :lol:

2004 Corvette Z06 - Torch Red

More
4 years 2 months ago #1770 by Mini Balls
Mini Balls replied the topic: New project Mini
The Mini is now in its new garage/home in Farmington Hills with plenty of space to work on it. And it has the Eagle Talon to keep it company. There's even a heater in the garage!

More
4 years 2 months ago #1771 by Red06
Red06 replied the topic: New project Mini
Photos? The heater is nice, especially this year. I haven't even looked at my car yet. Too damn cold. I miss my old house with the heated garage.

2004 Corvette Z06 - Torch Red

More
4 years 2 months ago #1805 by dylnwit
Sorry for the delay, and there's more to come as I get things cleaned up. Still a bit to do (garage and in the house) but making progress.

Should be back to working on the old gal this week, first up is the rotted floorboards, then wiring, plumbing, etc, etc. Lots to be done but it's doable. Eric will be out at some point soon to do some welding too, so hopefully we'll be up and running soon!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds