Tire question: RE71R & NT01

More
11 months 1 week ago #3055 by jaymsu
jaymsu created the topic: Tire question: RE71R & NT01
Does any of you run RE71R on track?
I recently purchased 19*10 wheels to put RE71R tires on them, and later found some mixed reviews about them - great autoX tires but not too great on track days.
I would like to hear from someone who has first hand experience with these tires.

Other track worthy tires I could find in size I'm considering was NT01s. Anyone use those? How do they compare to other DOT slicks like Cup2 or Trofeo? Or comparing to R888?

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

2006 Corvette w/ Z51 package: TOY4JAY III
2007 Corvette Z06 (550whp monster): TOY4JAY II
2002 'almost' stock Corvette coupe: TOY4JAY I

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 6 days ago #3058 by ecozat01
ecozat01 replied the topic: Tire question: RE71R & NT01
I had a set of the RE71's on a C6 base and I really liked them. They wore well and even and were very progressive at the limit. I also spoke with someone at mid-ohio who had them on a Subaru WRX and he really liked them too.

More
11 months 6 days ago #3059 by jaymsu
jaymsu replied the topic: Tire question: RE71R & NT01

ecozat01 wrote: I had a set of the RE71's on a C6 base and I really liked them. They wore well and even and were very progressive at the limit. I also spoke with someone at mid-ohio who had them on a Subaru WRX and he really liked them too.

Thank you!! This is what I wanted to hear. Quite a few people on another internet forum were saying 'they get greasy after a few hot laps and they should be just used for AutoX, not for track'. I didn't know if those people really know what they are talking about, so I wanted to get some opinion from 3 balls gang.

I'll give them a try this season. Thanks!!! :woohoo:

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #3068 by AndyW
AndyW replied the topic: Tire question: RE71R & NT01
I had NT01s on my Mustang when I first bought it a few years ago, primarily because the car came with a decent set on it.

- They're predictable and don't get greasy until they're very hot.

- They wear surprisingly well; much better than R-comps or just about any slick. I didn't count cycles, but it was a lot before they were done.

- They're more progressive than R-comps and they let you know when you're about to get in trouble, unlike R-comps that tend to be good right up until they're bad.

- On the con side, they don't grip like R-comps and your lap times will reflect that.

For a good-wearing track tire where you're not grappling for the last 0.1sec, they're a good choice. I'm too immature not to grapple for the last 0.1sec, so you know the rest of my story.

Good luck, Jay

Andy

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #3069 by jaymsu
jaymsu replied the topic: Tire question: RE71R & NT01

AndyW wrote: I had NT01s on my Mustang when I first bought it a few years ago, primarily because the car came with a decent set on it.

- They wear surprisingly well; much better than R-comps or just about any slick. I didn't count cycles, but it was a lot before they were done.

- They're more progressive than R-comps and they let you know when you're about to get in trouble, unlike R-comps that tend to be good right up until they're bad.

- On the con side, they don't grip like R-comps and your lap times will reflect that.

For a good-wearing track tire where you're not grappling for the last 0.1sec, they're a good choice. I'm too immature not to grapple for the last 0.1sec, so you know the rest of my story.

Good luck, Jay

Andy

Hey Andy, thanks for reply. After a long debate, I decided to give RE71R a try myself and mounted them a few days ago. (ecozat's review helped)

If I'm not satisfied with RE71, then I'll probably try NT01s next. (They should be faster tires than RE71 so it would be fast enough for me - I'm really getting spoiled with 'arrive and drive' now)

Thanks, and see you in April!

More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #3070 by Duckstu
Duckstu replied the topic: Tire question: RE71R & NT01

jaymsu wrote:

AndyW wrote: I had NT01s on my Mustang when I first bought it a few years ago, primarily because the car came with a decent set on it.

Good luck, Jay

Andy

Hey Andy, thanks for reply. After a long debate, I decided to give RE71R a try myself and mounted them a few days ago. (ecozat's review helped)

If I'm not satisfied with RE71, then I'll probably try NT01s next. (They should be faster tires than RE71 so it would be fast enough for me - I'm really getting spoiled with 'arrive and drive' now)

Thanks, and see you in April!

I have run RE01R's , RE11's, NT01's, Direzza Star Specs, etc on the Subaru,.. and the NT01's were only 1-2 tenths quicker per lap than the RE11's.

But whereas I would only get 3-4 track days out of the NTo1's,.. I would get 9 out of the Bridgestones.

Also,. the NT01 was stiffer over bumps that the RE11,. but seemed to flop over when you started turning in for a turn. Like the sidewall was very stiff vertically,. but not horizontally. This with 36 psi cold front and 28 psi cold in the rear. Like at first the car didn't turn,. but would take a set,.. and go. Mildly disconcerting at first,. but after a lap you forgot about it.

I didn't mind it,.. but the life-span wasn't nearly as good as the RE11's. So the cost was essentially double.

I just put RE71R's on my current car,.. but I only have a few street miles on it so far. I've signed up for Grattan in the Summer. So hopefully they're all they're cracked up to be.
Last Edit: 10 months 1 week ago by Duckstu.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds