4-post lift transport advice needed

More
2 years 9 months ago #2699 by Last_and_Spurious
Last_and_Spurious created the topic: 4-post lift transport advice needed
I'm looking for ideas to move a 4-post lift that I'm inheriting from my uncle. So far I know few details, except that his plan is to use a hi-lo to place the assembled lift onto an open car trailer and bring it to my barn.

Problem is I don't have the same equipment at my disposal to remove the lift off of the trailer once it's here.

I'm looking for any preliminary ideas for removal, or access to an all terrain fork truck to reverse the onboarding process while keeping costs minimal.

Any thoughts are appreciated, with the understanding that they may not be helpful without seeing the setup.

- Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #2701 by AndyW
AndyW replied the topic: 4-post lift transport advice needed
I was able to assemble a four-post lift in my mancave by myself a few years ago with some creative use of rolling dollies, jacks and elbow grease. It'd definitely be easier with a friend or two, but you shouldn't really need a lot of material handling equpment. Just be prepared to grunt a few times, or have an engine hoist or something on hand, when lifting the big heavy stuff.

Andy

More
2 years 9 months ago #2702 by Spectator Racing
Spectator Racing replied the topic: 4-post lift transport advice needed
Yeah, i was thinking the same thing. Cherry pickers lift more than engines...

A few 3 ton jacks would probably help, too. Awkward, but possible.

More
2 years 9 months ago #2706 by Last_and_Spurious
Last_and_Spurious replied the topic: 4-post lift transport advice needed
Thanks for the input on the lift. Fortunately my uncle was getting a new roof on his house and convinced the crew to put the lift on the trailer with their boom.

I think we've settled on using a group of floor jacks, jack stands, a winch with come-along straps and a couple of cherry pickers to remove it from the trailer once at my barn. Although 1500 lbs. it's not quite as massive as I was thinking, just oversized.

I may be looking for a couple of volunteers for the unloading festivities.

On a 2nd note, I know that the hydraulic piston will leak when extended beyond a certain point (Uncle never raised it very high, stored a 'Vette below and SSR above). Anyone familiar with servicing a seal or know a reputable shop for a refurbish?

J

More
2 years 3 months ago #2815 by 748mono
748mono replied the topic: 4-post lift transport advice needed
My brother and I installed one in my garage with a couple of floor jacks. There are only a couple of pieces that are really heavy. runway with hydraulic ram 500-600 pounds. Either take it apart or

see if you can get a castor kit for the lift. That way you can roll it around easily once it is off your transport.

Be careful your back is worth more than $400 bucks to have a crane stop by and move it. Buying a second engine hoist is cheaper than the rest of your life with back problems. You can sell the hoist on craiglist.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds