Head and Neck Restraint Devices

More
3 years 9 months ago #2328 by Sundial
Sundial created the topic: Head and Neck Restraint Devices
Hello 3 Ballers!

Due to recent events I've been researching the different head and neck restraint devices that are on the market. The three top systems that I found are HANS, Necksgen, and Simpson. I'm thinking of going with the Simpson Hybrid Sport model because it doesn't require the use of a 4/5 point harness.

Does anyone have any strong suggestions as to what system to go with? Has anyone used a Simpson Hybrid harness before and did/do you like it?

If you don't have one of these devices and plan to continue tracking I seriously recommend that you consider buying one. It's for your own safety.

-Andrew-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #2329 by got2boostit2
got2boostit2 replied the topic: Head and Neck Restraint Devices
Andrew, fully agree. As a result postponing any future events until I can acquire new helmets and neck restraints for my grandson and I.

More
3 years 9 months ago #2332 by Mini Balls
Mini Balls replied the topic: Head and Neck Restraint Devices
I've been using the HANS Sport II with sliding tether and quick click anchors for over a year now, with 5 point harness. My harness has the three inch wide shoulder straps- it predates the HANS device. Would be better to have the shoulder straps that neck down to two inches over the HANS but it actually works fine with the wider straps. SCCA started requiring head and neck restraint last year. SVRA and some other vintage groups started requiring this year. Looks like all the vintage groups are requiring them for next year. The Sport II is fixed at 20 degree angle. My seat is rather upright and the 20 degree works fine. The sliding tether gives me some head movement side to side. I like the quick click helmet attachments as they are easy for me to get in and out of just by feel. I've heard from some folks that have the post anchors that they are a pain. My helmet was pre-drilled for the anchors. If yours is not, you need to check and see if it can be drilled and fitted with Hans anchors.

Highly suggest you borrow one and try it before you buy it to make sure that the angles line up properly and your gloved hands can handle the in and out with ease.
John

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #2333 by countryboyshane
countryboyshane replied the topic: Head and Neck Restraint Devices
I've also been in the market for one. After talking to a few folks that race in SCCA I think the Necksgen REV is the right one for me. I'll have it ready to go for my next event.

I really like that the Necksgen is so light weight and the price isn't almost doubled because of that. It's really a shame that each player in this market wants to stick you $600 but I don't think it's going to get cheaper any time soon. In my car (Elise) the fixed seat backs look like they would cause some driver discomfort when using the HANS making me sit more upright, which is what I don't want. Another bonus is that I don't have to buy new shoulder harnesses to replace my 3" Safecraft belts.

I've only briefly seen the Simpson device. It looks like a medieval torture device! But I guess that's the only product if you're stuck with factory 3-point harnesses. My past two cars have had 6-point harnesses in them and once you use them you won't want to go back. They hold your body in the seat so well! The biggest advantage, besides safety, is that the driver/car communication is greatly enhanced. You have much more feedback as to how the car is behaving. I still have 3-points in my Elise for street use, but it feels like someone unplugged my central nervous system out of the car. As soon as I'm on track and lock in the 6-points, it is a MAN & MACHINE feeling. Completely amazing how much of a difference they make.

Studies show 100% of people die so you might as well have some fun while you're at it.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by countryboyshane.

More
3 years 8 months ago #2339 by Red06
Red06 replied the topic: Head and Neck Restraint Devices
Andrew,

I have a Hans and Junior has a Necksgen. If I had it to do over again I'd get the Necksgen. It's adjustable and appears to have some lateral neck support where the Hans has none. I think Jay Choy may have the Simpson, you may want to PM him to see how he likes it.

2004 Corvette Z06 - Torch Red

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #2351 by typhoon5000
typhoon5000 replied the topic: Head and Neck Restraint Devices
I haven't tried any myself, but doing some research of my own, it appears Mikko Hirvonen uses one, or at least he did while driving for Citreon, which tells me it must work pretty good!

[img]http://http://www.ears.ie/images/simpson_hybrid_hirvonen.jpg

image link

-2012 Mustang GT, Kona Blue, Brembo pkg
-1995 Taurus SHO, Mazda Velocity Red
-2001 F-250 SCab Long Bed, Sonic Blue, 5.4L 4x4
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by typhoon5000. Reason: added image link

More
3 years 8 months ago #2352 by Red06
One other thing, you should talk to Simpson to verify the that hybrid can be used without harnesses. I looked into the hybrid when I still had my Mustang and was told it could be used with regular 3-point belts. I called the company that made the unit, before it was purchased by Simpson (don't recall the name), and was told that it was NOT designed/certified for use with stock 3-point belts.

This was 4-5 years ago so I'd verify before you buy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: typhoon5000

More
3 years 7 months ago #2434 by countryboyshane
countryboyshane replied the topic: Head and Neck Restraint Devices
This weekend was my first time wearing a HANS device in my Elise. I ended up buying the Sport II version. I didn't take that long to get used to. Maybe one session and I was driving like it wasn't even on me. The helmet tether provides enough room for me to rotate my head to look through turns. Not as intrusive as most think it will be. My only objection is that I think it needs a little more padding on the outside of the shoulder supports. After I was strapped in I could fidgit my body around a bit so it wasn't bothering me too much. Nothing a little foam won't fix. Of course, this will vary driver to driver depending on their build.

I will say this. It feels good to be safe!

Studies show 100% of people die so you might as well have some fun while you're at it.

More
3 years 7 months ago #2435 by Scooter70
Scooter70 replied the topic: Head and Neck Restraint Devices
After a few track days with your HANS you'll feel strange if you go out on track without it.

2001 Corvette Z06
2005 Corvette Z51

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #2448 by Red06

countryboyshane wrote: This weekend was my first time wearing a HANS device in my Elise. I ended up buying the Sport II version. I didn't take that long to get used to. Maybe one session and I was driving like it wasn't even on me. The helmet tether provides enough room for me to rotate my head to look through turns. Not as intrusive as most think it will be. My only objection is that I think it needs a little more padding on the outside of the shoulder supports. After I was strapped in I could fidgit my body around a bit so it wasn't bothering me too much. Nothing a little foam won't fix. Of course, this will vary driver to driver depending on their build.

I will say this. It feels good to be safe!

I have the Sport II and really like it. At least with mine, the padding moves around a bit so I make sure it is centered on the device before strapping in. I find it pretty comfortable, I do have a smaller frame however.

I totally agree with Scooter. It feels really weird when instructing in a car without harnesses thus without the Hans.

Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Red06.

More
1 year 10 months ago #2915 by Scooby921
Scooby921 replied the topic: Head and Neck Restraint Devices
Reviving an old topic, but hey, I haven't been on here in forever as until recently I didn't have a car to take to the track.

In any case, I have and use Simpson's FIA Hybrid model. It is 3-point compatible. This is the model Ford requires their employees to use whenever they are running at a race track. As with any harness it takes a bit of work to get it setup correctly, but once you have it properly adjusted it's relatively comfortable and easy to work with. My only complaint might be the way the harness extends down your back. I didn't have any issues with it working in road cars with normal seats. I expect you'd need a little extra padding in a Kirkey seat. You'd want to create a cutout in the rear seat foam into which the harness would fit so you get more even pressure as your back and shoulders touch instead of just the harness touching the seat and applying pressure to your back and spine.

More
1 year 9 months ago #2916 by JScottGT
JScottGT replied the topic: Head and Neck Restraint Devices

Scooter70 wrote: After a few track days with your HANS you'll feel strange if you go out on track without it.

Completely agree. I picked up the HANS Sport III and a new helmet for this season. I had this idea in my head it was going to really restrict motion and vision. Just to the contrary, after a lap I don't know it's there. Plus I feel better restrained in the seat with it on. If you have harnesses in your car, you should have the HANS.

2013 Mustang GT
Track Pack + Recaro's

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds